Life of Newlyweds

Monday, August 9, 2010

Ohio to Virginia

So I never figured I'd be a 'blogger', but considering the circumstances and the changes we are experiencing, I figured it'd be nice to keep everyone up to date on what's going on in our lives. So as most of you know Spencer and I came down to Virginia Beach the middle of July for Spencer to finish testing for the Police Academy. It turned out that they wanted him to wait and not do the August academy but come back and do ride alongs etc to prepare more apparently. So we weren't sure what we were going to do. Should we stay in Wauseon and 'wait' for our life to start? Or should we take a step of faith and move not knowing what would happen? We immediately started doing ALOT of praying. Even before we headed to Virginia we would pray only for God's will, and that we would be able to 'handle' what His will was. Well, while we were in Virginia Beach I put in an application/resume/letter of recommendation to a kid salon in the area that I had been looking at online and really thought it was something I'd like. I figured even if we weren't going to be moving down a few weeks later (which is what we were planning if Spencer got into the August academy) I would put my application in, since we were in the area. That was on a Friday. On Sunday I got a call from the owner of the salon. She was interested in hiring me. We saw that as God opening a door for us to move to Virginia Beach. To make a long story some what shorter, we did alot of thinking and praying and talking to figure out where we were going next. There was a chance that Spencer would be able to transfer with Pennys and we saw that as a plus. We eventually decided to move so Spencer could be in Virginia for ride alongs etc. and we were ready to really 'start' our new life together. I confirmed things with the salon and we started the quick process of moving. Toward the end of July we moved out of our apartment in Wauseon, so that we could start packing our stuff into my dad's trailer that we would be using to move, and we stayed at my parents. My family was a huge help to us, helping us pack up and load up. We finally had planned to pull out Saturday morning, August 7th. We had alittle bump in the road because we had to wait before we left to check the mail Saturday, hoping for my Virginia Cosmetology license. There was some stress there but God answered our prayers and I got my license that morning. We then went out to lunch with my parents and 2 of my brothers, then we hit the road. We did have to make a few stops but we managaed to keep pretty much the same arrival time on our GPS from Wauseon to Manassas. We stopped in Manassas to shorten the trip and we stayed with some of Spencer's relatives. The next day we got up and headed into Virginia Beach, about a 3 hr drive or so. Our goal was to find an apartment. We found some online that we liked but we were leary  to sign a lease over the internet. So we had an appointment as well as looked at 2 other apartments. We found one we really liked and were able to sign and do everything the same day. Finding an apartment right away was a big priority and once again God answered our prayers! Can I just say that GOD IS GOOD! The apartment had the things we needed and wanted. The fridge, stove/oven and dishwasher came with the apartment! We both really wanted a dishwasher, that wasn't one of our priorities but definately a want. We also have onsite laundry, a fitness center, outdoor swimming pool and a tanning bed. We did get our private entrance that was really important to us! The apartment also had new carpet and vinel put in, so we didn't have to worry about weird smells sunk in the carpet etc. The walls seemed to have been primed but not really painted, and they didn't look like they were done the best, so we really wanted to paint. So yesterday and today we have been painting. In between we've gone out to the store to get supplies, return supplies, grab food, get a few groceries etc. Oh might I had tonight we ate at Qdoba. Spencer is thrilled we have one down the road, where in Ohio it was a 40 min drive to the closest Qdoba. It has been so fun to drive around and see the different stores and restaurants that are close to us! I can't wait to go explore them all. I heard on the radio about this new frozen yogurt place called 'Skinny Dip : frozen yogurt bar'...it sounds like a Coldstone for frozen yogurt maybe. But I've been wanting to find it and try it, because I LOVE frozen yogurt!...Tonight on our way to the Super WalMart I spotted it! Granted I had a mini blizzard in my hand (that's right, a MINI blizzard from Dairy Queen...I had never heard of such a thing, but it's the perfect size for a sweet treat!) so we didn't get the yogurt. But I'm stoked I know where it is, so when my family gets down here we're definately making a trip there! My parents and Tanner should be here Wednesday night with the trailer full of our stuff. So they'll help us unload and get settled. It will be really nice to have them here for alittle! Tomorrow I start training for my new job! I'm excited and nervous. We'll see what happens. I think Spencer is going to touch up some trim work and paint one more wall that we have left, and possibly fill out job applications. He has the interview with Pennys next week for the transfer, but in the mean time he is going to fill out applications to see if he can't find anything better or even closer yet. So we'll see what happens with that. I'll try to keep everyone informed of the start of our new adventure. We are very excited to see what awesome things God has for store for us here in Virginia Beach!

3 comments:

  1. Love and prayers for you both as you start this new chapter in your lives. Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie, this is a great way to keep us posted. Mom, Tanner and I can't wait to see you both tomorrow. Trailers packed and attached to your Explorer. We are ready to begin our trek tonight. Looking forward to some of that frozen yogurt. Oh, and thanks for getting the painting done before we get there. You know how much we love to paint...LOL. Love you both. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update!! Will be great to hear about your exciting new adventure!! Your salon sounds so cute!! I hope you just love it! So glad God is taking care of you guys.

    ReplyDelete